Sunday, November 09, 2008

Sudden Illness; Go Back 2 Spaces!

(Moan) Oh man. I don't feel so good. I was going through Weed, CA on the way to Orland, CA (which was on the way to the first of 3 drops) when a gurgling in my stomach alerted me to the sudden need to pull over and find a restroom forthwith. Luckily one of my usual stopping places was close at hand and I narrowly avoided a rather messy disaster. 50 miles later I was not so lucky. Same occurrence, but this time 15 miles from the yard at Orland. Too far. I didn't make it. I'm sorry to even make you read about this. I'm sure all of you my dear readers are right now saying "Eeeeeeew!" but this is one of the harsh realities of trucking.

Earlier today - in fact for the last few days - I have not been feeling my best, and today I was especially headachy, even a little dizzy just a few hours ago, which made me a little suspicious, but I shrugged it off until that episode 15 miles from where I am now. That confirmed my suspicion that maybe I was better to pass this load on than try to make it in my current condition. Actually my current condition is slightly better. I am at Orland now wiith a restroom close at hand and a full nights rest ahead of me. I did have to give up this load but I got most of the miles off it already anyway. I do feel bad for the dispatchers, CSR, planners, etc. that have to scramble to get the load delivered now, not to mention the driver that has to do 3 stops on a load with practically no miles left on it, but there really was no feasible way for me to do this. I'd need a HASMAT team to clean my truck when I got there. Plus with having to stop, and the headache and the dizziness. Just no good. Bad news bears. Anyhow  I hope to be feeling better tomorrow but I'm not going to push it. I'll keep you posted.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Sounds like rough stuff! My dad is also a truck driver and has told me similar stories to yours. Hope you get feeling better!

    ReplyDelete